Master Floors

by sarahgtucker

IMG_0570

Note: I wrote this post back in March of 2013 and then never got the pictures on the post. I’m cleaning it up a bit and putting in pics of the final results in the next post.

Nevermind what Chinese Astrology says, 2013 is (was) the year of the floor at Springtree House. Once we were living downstairs and Gus started having a hard time falling asleep and moving into a big boy mattress, we really need to get those kids into separate rooms. As it is, Addy falls asleep in our bed and we move her when we’re ready. Plus, I think there was a little too long a lag time before the tiles even arrived, so I started ripping up the carpet in the master bedroom.

I was hoping it would just be the wood underneath, but no such luck. There was linoleum again, and in the niche, two layers of linoleum, all with that awful adhesive. I started going at it with the belt sander, but it quickly became obvious that was just going to take too long and be way too hard on my neck and back. So, the next weekend, I rented an orbital sander. It was a pain to get upstairs, but once it was there I got a lot done in three days before I had to take it back.

Floors after sanding

Floors after sanding

IMG_1452

But it didn’t get through everything. The adhesive in the niche is like hard plastic on there and nothing cuts through it. Not sanding, not Jasco, not scrapers.

The niche

The niche

Close up of the adhesive

Close up of the adhesive

The main room I was able to finish with the 6-in-1 and the belt sander. It took a while, but I got it done last week. Over the weekend I cleaned the whole room with TSP substitute, so I’ll start priming this Friday and hopefully have it painted by this weekend and the walls the next. I’m following Anna’s instructions on Door 16. I’m even keeping it simple and using the same paint color (BM Simply White). Okay, edit time, I looked at the can and, though I ordered Simply, it’s some other white. Whatever, it looks good.

Primed floors

Primed floors

IMG_1395

Painted floors

Painted floors

Once I finished painting the floors, I started on the walls, using Benjamin Moore’s Deep Space in matte on the walls. I had one coat on the walls when one morning while Tuck was in Oakland doing some lawn work and I was downstairs waking up, the kids seemed to be entertaining themselves nicely when it dawned on me that they had been a little too quiet for a little too long. This seems to be a special parent sixth sense, but you just know when they’ve gotten into something because that’s the only thing that can hold their attention for that long. So I checked upstairs and walked in on this:

Preschoolers attempting to help

Preschoolers attempting to help

I don’t know how, but they figured out how to use a paint can key to open the paint and help me by painting the wall. They did pick the right color, but, of course, dripped it all over the newly painted white floor and glopped it all down the walls. And then, when Addy noticed that they’d made a mess on the floor, she walked her painty feet into the bathroom, got a washcloth, and tried to wipe it up, smearing the paint and getting it all over the bathroom. Needless to say, I was beyond furious. I was past yelling and just let out a long, low “nooooooooo”. Addy immediately started crying insisting that they were just trying to help and that she didn’t know. Considering that she usually laughs or is defiant when I get upset with her, I took this as evidence that she really, truly thought she was helping, so I really wasn’t that angry with her. They both went directly in the bath, though.

Opaque paint water

Opaque paint water

I was able to get some of it up with paint thinner and then just paint over the rest. I think it took two to three coats and the bed is over most of it, so no harm in the long run, and it makes for a good story now. Gus still points to the wall behind the bed and insists that he painted that part.

In the next post I’ll show pics of the bedroom all painted and with furniture.

-Sarah

Advertisements